Monday, November 7, 2011

Pasapoga Restaurant

Pasapoga Restaurant

15725 SW 72nd Street
Miami, FL 33193

Point Rating : 4.5/10

Pasapoga is a rather mid size strip mall restaurant/bakery in the newly developed western area of West Kendall. The location is cute and has a surprisingly high Cuban feel to it which becomes more difficult to stumble upon the farther away from Hialeah you go. That being said, I ordered their "Pasapoga Special" which stood out to me to be their signature sandwich. I mean why else would you put your name on the sandwich? The service was kind and very speedy with my order. But let's talk about what really matter here; the food. I gotta say for being Cuban food, they lack no culture to their flavor. However, Pasapoga Restaurant does not dazzle your taste buds. I felt their quality of food matches that of other Cuban restaurants. Were looking for a place that stands out, and their "Pasapoga Special" is basically a Miami Sandwich you can find at any Cuban bakery in Miami-Dade with sliced chorizo ("sausage" for my non-spanish readers) added in the middle. I can't blame them for not standing out though. In Miami, where probably over 50% of residents only speak Spanish, Cuban food is as real as it gets. It's hard for a restaurant to surpass what's pretty much been perfected in Miami-Dade. Anyways, for dessert I ordered their "Flan de Leche", and unfortunately though the custard was delicious, the caramelized syrup was bitter. The bitter taste usually occurs when whoever is preparing the flan overcooks the caramel and in a sense burns it, so that being said I was not at all impressed with the cooking of this place; (plus it sucks driving home with a bad after taste). So if I lived in the area and starving with nothing to eat, sure, I'd consider grabbing a bite to eat at Pasapoga Restaurant. However, in the occasion that I'm driving around with friends or family and we are deciding what to eat, I'd think twice about mentioning Pasapoga to anyone unless they are prepared to not be dazzled.

No comments:

Post a Comment